“A brief should be luminous, not voluminous.”
To write a winning brief, you must first winnow the issues.
In law, the key skill is writing. At The Write House, we have been teaching legal writing for years. Participants at our writing workshops have assessed our programs as “EXCELLENT- should be required training for ALL lawyers at ALL levels in ALL fields.”
Brief Writing Masterclass is an intensive, highly interactive 3-day workshop, with writing tasks and expert guidance. This workshop will revolutionize the way you prepare briefs, submissions, and written addresses.
Course Highlights- Anatomy of a Brief
1. In every case, choose the most apt from the 6 formulas for issue formulation:
a. the whether fragment
b. the one-sentence statement
c. the one-sentence question
d. the Catholic catechism
e. the under-does-when formula, and
f. Garner’s deep-issue format.
2. Think like a novelist- tell a story with your facts.
3. Forget codes and dates- assign substantive descriptions to your data.
4. Appeal to the court’s conscience and emotion.
5. Learn to play safely with fire- tackle bad facts and contrary law.
6. Forget IRAC- structure your argument to maximize persuasive quotient.
7. Inject the judge with antibiotics so she resists your opponent’s infectious advocacy.
8. Call your opponent’s dog a bad name, and hang it!
9. Cite and quote like a pro.
10. What’s Aristotle got to do with brief writing?
Date: Wednesday 26-Friday 28 Nov 2014
Time: 10am-5pm each day
Venue: Sheraton Lagos Hotel, Ikeja Lagos
Buffet Lunch at Crockpot Restaurant, Sheraton
From 10-20 Nov 2014: N90,000
After 20 Nov 2014: N100,000
Please pay to:
The Write House, 0153954433, GTBank
- If you pay by online transfer, enter your full name in the Reference or Remarks column of your bank’s online platform, or email transfer advice to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you deposit cash or cheque, scan and email deposit slip to email@example.com.
Once we receive your fee, we shall register you and prepare your certificate in advance.
Phone +234 803 341 2508, +234 812 236 3614